Personal liability and/or household contents: now get 4 months free

What types of insurance do I need for my own home?

First apartment of my own

A moment which most look forward to with great excitement and anticipation: Moving out of their parents’ home. However, this new phase of life not only entails more freedom, but also more responsibility. Now you have to take care of things that others used to do. That also includes insurance coverage.

The fact is, as soon as you move out of your parents’ home or start a training or education program, you are no longer covered by your family’s policy. This is why personal liability insurance is a must have. It covers all damages you cause to the property of others. If you move into your own apartment or a shared apartment, we recommend you also take out household contents insurance

4 months free 

If you are under 30 years old and you buy a personal liability and/or household contents policy, we’ll give you the first 4 months of your annual premium for free. The discount applies to annual premiums starting at CHF 60. 

Personal liability insurance

Why is personal liability insurance a must?

Personal liability insurance is one of the most important types of insurance: It covers damage you unintentionally cause to others or their property. If necessary, even a claim for millions.

Just like household contents insurance, personal liability insurance isn’t compulsory – but it does mean you avoid major financial losses. If you accidentally drop your friend’s expensive camera on the ground, or the wood flooring of your rented apartment is ruined by high heels at a party you hosted, your personal liability insurance policy will cover you financially. The fact is, if you are at fault for causing damage, you are liable with your assets, and there is no limit in terms of the amount you have to pay.

But personal liability insurance also provides substantial financial assistance in the event of a major accident: If you hit and seriously injure a passerby when you’re out on your bike, for example, you could face a claim for millions of Swiss francs (bodily injury). But with personal liability insurance from AXA, you’ll be covered for claims up to CHF 20 million.

Good to know: Many landlords require personal liability insurance since it covers tenant damage. 

When does personal liability insurance take effect?

Does liability insurance also cover damage caused by my pet? Do landlords expect that I will take out personal liability insurance before I move into my first apartment? Answers to these questions and more can be found in our explanatory video. Play the movie!

Household contents insurance

How does it help me?

 Household contents insurance  is not mandatory, but it can save you lots of money.

Household contents insurance protects all your home possessions: The kitchen hutch you inherited, your laptop, and your collection of sneakers. If someone breaks into your home, a fire breaks out, or a water pipe bursts and damages your possessions, your household contents policy will keep the financial damage to a minimum. What many people don’t know is that if your backpack is stolen when you’re out and about, your household contents policy will cover this loss too.

Sustainability is important to us, which is why you can now benefit from Energy Plus: If, for example, your washing machine is destroyed by water damage, we will replace the old machine with a new, energy-efficient appliance – and cover the additional cost.

What does household contents insurance cover?

What’s it for? Is my cell phone also insured? What's the sum insured, overinsurance, and underinsurance all about? Watch the explanatory video now – and find out more. 

What is household insurance?

 Household insurance is a combination of household contents and personal liability insurance. Coverage protects everyone who lives under the same roof. However, they must be listed individually in the contract.

Good to know: Three-quarters of our clients choose this combination package.

Renting with no bank deposit: How does that work?

Rental guarantee insurance is the most widely used and accepted rental deposit form in Switzerland. It offers the same security as a bank deposit and is quick and straightforward. Here’s what you get with rental guarantee insurance from AXA:

  • Your money is available to you whenever you want it.
  • Rental guarantee insurance can be terminated at any time.
  • Your landlord receives the rental guarantee surety within three to five business days.

In order for AXA to stand surety for you, you must have personal liability insurance. This insurance already covers many types of damage that can occur in a rented apartment and is thus generally very useful for tenants. 

Other important types of insurance when you move out of your parents’ home

Depending on your life circumstances, hobbies, and plans, you may need other types of insurance to protect you against financial loss. For example, the following:

Your advantages with AXA

  • 1

    myAXA client portal: Manage documents, upload invoices, or change your personal data – whenever and wherever you want. Say goodbye to paperwork!

  • 2

    We are Switzerland's number one insurer: We provide excellent services, personal advice, and individual insurance protection.

  • 3

    Attractive discounts: Benefit from a one-time discount of CHF 30 when you take out household contents, personal liability, or cyber insurance.

Customer reviews

4.7/5Home and Property Insurance

Determined from 25568 customer opinions

Review silver seal

To the customer reviews

FAQs – your first home of your own

  • Why is it a good idea to take out legal protection insurance when you move into your first apartment?

    Trouble with the landlord because they don’t want to pay back the rental deposit? Problems with your neighbors because your party was a bit too loud? Or issues with the moving company, which doesn’t want to pay for damage they caused? Legal protection insurance offers you support in relation to legal issues and disputes. And protects you against high costs if the case goes to court.

    If you don’t want to take out legal protection insurance, then  PLUS legal advice may be the option for you: AXA-ARAG experts explain the legal situation in the event of a dispute and discuss possible action, as well as opportunities and risks.

    Find free tips and templates for moving on MyRight.

  • I am moving into a shared apartment. Does every roommate of the shared apartment need their own insurance?

    In general, one household contents and personal liability insurance policy is enough. All roommates are listed individually in the policy. Advantage: Everyone is automatically insured and also saves money. 

    However, there are two points to note:

    • Roommates of a shared apartment change often, meaning the insurance policy also has to be amended constantly. In addition, those moving out lose their insurance coverage.
    • Not all roommates may have the same insurance needs. For example, one roommate may own an expensive e-piano or jewelry, and another only a few pieces of used furniture.
  • Cyber insurance: How worthwhile is it to have personal coverage?

    Phishing, fake shops, cyber bullying: AXA’s cyber insurance provides you with comprehensive protection against risks on the Internet, protects you against financial loss, and offers exclusive prevention services. 

    Cyber insurance offers a unique combination of prevention services, legal and insurance protection, and thus protection against cyber crimes.

  • Household insurance: How long will I be covered by my parents’ insurance?

    Bear in mind, that for household insurance, everyone listed in the policy who lives in the same household is covered. Regardless of age. However, a separate insurance policy can be created for adult children if the parents request it. In this case, they can benefit from a youth discount up to the age of 25. We would be happy to answer any questions you have on our offers: Request a consultation now!

  • From what age can I take out AXA’s household or household contents insurance?

    You can take out household or household contents insurance from AXA from the age of 18. 

  • What is an insured sum and how can I calculate it?

    Did you buy a new couch, dishes, or electronic appliances for your first apartment? Calculate everything that is in your apartment (and of course in the basement and attic): This amount corresponds to the total value of your household.

    Consider the following question: What would it cost if I had to buy all my personal possessions again today? This repurchase amount (replacement value) corresponds to the insured sum that you must indicate for your household contents. If a loss event occurs and you are underinsured, then you will not be reimbursed for the entire value of your damaged household contents.

  • I am moving in with my boyfriend. Can we merge our insurance coverage?

    Yes, you can combine household contents and personal liability insurance and save money. 

  • Is the moving company liable for damage?

    Moving companies are within their legal rights to exclude certain liabilities from an agreement and thereby reject responsibility for damaged goods in some situations. Find out in our blog article what you need to pay attention to in order to complete your move with as little damage as possible.

Tips, topics, and trends about moving into your first home

AXA on social media 

AXA & You

Contact Report a claim Broker Job vacancies myAXA Login Customer reviews Garage portal myAXA FAQ

AXA worldwide

AXA worldwide

Stay in touch

DE FR IT EN Terms of use Data protection / Cookie Policy © {YEAR} AXA Insurance Ltd